Saturday, June 21, 2008
Our 22nd Wedding Anniversary - Praise to the Lord Almighty, who over all things so wondrously reigne
... June 21, 1986
Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise him, for he is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear,
now to his temple draw near;
praise him in glad adoration.
Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
shelters thee under his wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen
how thy desires ever have been
granted in what he ordaineth?
Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
surely his goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew
what the Almighty can do,
if with his love he befriend thee.Steve beautifully wrote this hymn out in calligraphy and we printed them for our wedding guests so that all could sing and rejoice with us in God's goodness. Steve and I met fairly late in life and we knew even after only three months that we were to become engaged and then married three months after that on June 21, 1986!
As I walked down the aisle, the organist played this hymn and Steve and I took each other's hands and joined our lives... 22 years ago today.
Through these years, our Lord has proven faithful to help us keep that commitment to each other through literally poverty and sickness, as well as in joy. Today...
Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
biddeth them cease,
turneth their fury to peace,
Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.
Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before him.
Let the amen
sound from his people again,
gladly for all we adore him.Words: Joachim Neander (1650-1680), 1680
trans. Catherine Winkworth (1827-1878), 1863;
Music: Lobe den Herren (also known as Praxis pietatis) (Stralsung Gesangbuch, 1665)
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Disneyland Adventure - day 1
Two days at Disneyland!!! Our boys hadn't been there since they were 6 and 4! We are exhausted, we ache from walking (and standing in lines), but we enjoyed the time together so much!
By the way, thank you so much for prayers and well wishes -- I do still have a headache and came home to a message from my doctor that a 2nd review of the x-rays indicated a small fracture so I'm scheduled for a CT scan next Tuesday as a precautionary measure -- but my face has healed and we enjoyed gorgeous days on our trip (before the heat set in) -- God is so good to sustain, provide, and surprise! ~Laurie
Here is a slide show of day 1:
Disneyland Day 1 and some favorite photos:
Saturday, June 14, 2008
Update...
I haven't posted due to still having a headache -- just want to thank everyone for your encouraging words and prayers!!!! Today is my oldest son's 17th birthday and I'm feeling much better -- and I look a whole lot better too (I am so thankful that the Lord protected me from worse injury and the healing process is so quick). We're off to see Kung Fu Panda and then to Coldstone to celebrate Jonathan!
P.M. Update: Kung Fu Panda turned out to be a fun, family, laugh-out-loud-romp -- but I am easily amused :) Coldstone...mmmm....we shared strawberry cheesecake, cookie dough and brownies, and cinnamon rolls as we shared ice creams!
And on a more serious note...just read this prayer and thought of my sons...
"Still upward be thine onward course:
For this I pray today;
Still upward as the years go by,
And seasons pass away.
"Still upward in this coming year,
Thy path is all untried;
Still upward may'st thou journey on,
Close by thy Saviors side.
"Still upward e'en though sorrow come,
And trials crush thine heart;
Still upward may they draw thy soul,
With Christ to walk apart.
"Still upward till the day shall break,
And shadows all have flown;
Still upward till in Heaven you wake,
And stand before the throne."Currently Watching
Kung Fu Panda [Theatrical Release]
By Jack Black
see related
Tuesday, June 10, 2008
Pitiful Birthday...
I love birthdays -- I love the idea of making the day so special for the birthday celebrant! Every year, the first week of June, I choose a theme and shop for plates, decorations, etc. to celebrate my sons' birthdays (on the 8th and the 14th). Early last week, I mentioned that I needed to go birthday shopping, and my youngest son whose birthday is on the 8th commented that he didn't remember any themes or at least had never noticed them! We laughed and he assured me that he would try to figure out this year's themeWell, best plans fall down -- literally! On Saturday, when I planned to do the shopping, I first had to drop my older son off at a local college to take the SAT exam. As I walked away from him on the concrete sidewalk, I missed a step and down I went onto my face! I was in so much pain, but I was more worried that my son would see me and worry -- which I didn't want because he was already nervous about the exam. I lay on the ground, holding my nose, and two gracious women brought kleenex and took care of me while I regained strength to get up (and when I was sure my son was not aware of anything that had happened). With my face throbbing and swelling, I drove home -- so much for birthday shopping.
Sunday, my younger son's 15th birthday -- what to do for decorations? I found one "Happy Birthday" napkin, slightly wrinkled, in a cupboard and placed it at his table setting for breakfast -- and warned him not to mess it up because it was the only one we had and had to last him all day -- his response: "That's pitiful" with a smile -- and thus, we had our theme for his birthday. Because I was in too much pain to go to church, I stayed home while the rest went -- during that time, I found some gold paper plates and with a hole punch and paper clips, made a hanging decoration "1st Place Today - Wishing - You a - Gold - Medal - Birthday!" ...
Fortunately, I had already gotten his gifts and those were not pitiful
Geoffrey creates intriguing digital designs and though we can't afford professional framing right now, I was able to get them put on a pillow case and on a skectch book...
...he was pleased, I think.
As for me, it's Tuesday and I'm feeling a bit better -- went to the doctor yesterday and was thankful to learn that nothing had been broken -- and believe it or not, though I still have a headache and my nose hurts, I do look a bit better today in this photo...
...than I did a few days ago. Ah, a birthday my son will remember and it didn't turn out as pitiful as it might have because I am so blessed with a son who doesn't measure love by how high the gifts stack or how elaborate the celebrations may be -- and he appreciates my good intentions. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment